Skip to main content

Blog Hop 2019: My Alter Ego's Job


Like most writers, I have a day job.  Unlike some, I don’t see it as a totally necessary evil; It’s necessary, but not evil.   In fact, I consider myself luckier than most when it comes to the “writer with a day job” moniker.  It’s not just an 8-5-er that’s complete void of writing.  My aspiration towards writing perfectly lends itself to my day job as a job coach. 

As a job coach, it is my responsibility to assist people with bettering their employment options.  My co-workers and I call this ultimate goal “tier to tier movement”.  Though it vaguely sounds like a video game term, this phrase refers to the act of bettering one’s current situation.  In most cases, this means finding a job when one is unemployed.  In some, it means finding a better job than their current one.

As with any trade, there’s a multitude of tricks and stratagems that can be employed to help clients achieve their goals: Resume building, interview practice, training plans, job search assistance, etc.  Another important tool I use is teaching clients how not to be an irrevocable piece of shit human being, which is a notion, and I can’t stress this enough, that is very important to develop when you’re trying to convince a hiring manager to literally pay you to be around other people. 

Collectively, this all feeds into one important truth that I think most people aren’t aware of:  You’re telling a story, and it needs to be a damn good one. 

In fiction, we want to conjure an emotional response in our readers.  It’s the ultimate benchmark for a writer.  That, and also the act of receiving money for said services being rendered.  Because, ya’know, bills.  And drugs. 

In my primary occupation, the story they craft needs to answer questions that they won’t be able to address directly until the interview: Is this person reliable?  Do they have the appropriate skills?  Will they steal my lettuce wrapped, ginger-fused tuna sandwiches?  Do they find spiritual and emotional serenity when they hurl staplers at anyone in close proximity?

The employer will hobble together said narrative through several individual pieces of information and base their important decisions on what they construct.  They pull these pieces of the puzzle from your cover letter, resume, application, social media presence, background checks, credit checks (yes, some employers do that), googling your name, and references. In fact, the act of looking for jobs can essentially be seen as a product of transmedia storytelling.  However, even one of these individual parts can have undeniable influence and be greater than the sum of the parts, leading to a not-so-desirable result.  Do you think about the bigger consequences your Facebook status updates can have when you post such controversial statements such as “Capitalism has murdered democracy”, or “Every single Disney live action remake is better than the animated originals, come at me brah!”?

So what role do I play in this story building?  Well, that’s the fun part.  And by fun, I mean the opposite because sarcastic tones don’t work that well on print.  It involves, conceptually, prompting and maintaining a back-and-forth dialogue with dialectical underpinnings regardless of how vehement the interaction might become.  I think the term clashing is the most succinct way to put it. 
Before we can build their story, we need to unpack and take stock of their skills, history, and accomplishments.  As is the case in the game of Operation, the process of withdrawing vital information can cause a lot of yelling and other inarticulate sounds.  But I never get angry about them.  When was the last time you the fond experience of being grilled with personal question after question for 30+ minutes?  If you’ve ever experienced this, you were probably in a less-than-stellar situation and wanted to leave immediately.  That’s what I have to essentially evoke here, at first.

However, through persistent (and sometimes irksome) questioning, you can a slow, methodical realization take shape in their expressions.  They internally reconcile their old beliefs in job searching and realize they need a new, fresher approach.  And once that crux has been reached, it’s the most rewarding part of my day job….. no, my career.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop 2018: Under a Binge

I don’t like binge watching shows.   I also loathe the culture that surrounds it. The adulthood expectations of my boring life influence this opinion heavily, but there’s also the thought of having to drop everything and spend 10-12 hours watching something in a misguided attempt at keeping your finger on the pulse of what Twitter has decided is “in” that makes me want to yell at kids to get off my lawn in random places that just so happen to NOT be my yard.   But there is a show where I have relented, hanging my head as my pride deflates and I feebly gesture to your TV and Roku stick.   Also, I’m sure you have questions as to why I’m sitting in your living room at 2am in the morning, but there are bigger things to discuss here.           When I found out the next blog hop was going to focus on binging, my mind went to one of my favorite shows in the last five years:   Netflix’s American Vandal.   So as someone converted to the binging religion for one show, I guess it’s now

Blog Hop: Bring Back That Loving Feeling

(At least once a year, I participate in a blog hop with several talented authors.  This time we focused on a series that we loved in the beginning, then disappointed us, but then redeemed itself in our eyes.  Sorry, no writing excercises this time) When I was told the theme of this year's blog hop, there was no hesitation on what subject I wanted to pull the trigger on.  Back in the early 2000s, the Playstation 2 was a must have for anyone who was all about the button mashing.  After buying one, I encountered a game unlike any other that eventually become a benchmark and influential power for video games for years.  This game was Devil May Cry. In the game, you played a silver haired demon hunter named Dante who's soul purpose was to eviscerate and obliterate demonic enemies in highly stylish ways.  It was a highly kinetic action game that was a complete overload of everything a hormone and anxiety riddled teenage boy imbibed for spiritual sustenance.  But I can't fully

Huh. You're still here? Cool.

      So hey.   I did that thing.   You know. THAT thing.   The thing I specifically and emphatically said I was never going to do because I’m through with that thing.   The thing I’m talking about was my promise to maintain a steady posting schedule on my blog and not go buy the proverbial cigarettes at the gas station after telling you that I’d be right back (sorry/not sorry).   Remember?   Well, I remember.   Pepperidge Farms remembers too, which fucking terrifies me.   They have people everywhere.   I mean, have you ever NOT seen their products in a store.   The reason for the radio silence?   Well…I moved.   Bigly moved.   My wife and I jumped about 6 states to the west and now we live in Northern California.   Now I shall do this: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS CRAZY WHAT THE HELL ARE WE DOING?   Actually, the reason we did this was for a severe change.   I’ve been sweet on California for a while wh