Skip to main content

The Job Everyone and No One Wants

(New title for the blog is Fictionary now.  K?)

One of the purposes for writing this blog is to reach out to others who find it difficult to pursue their creative interests.  I think the struggle to create for us is an illusion, however.  In our minds, artful expression is seen, to some degree, as an overflowing fountain of blissful magic that you tap into willy nilly whenever you want to work on your watershed masterpiece.

So it comes as quite the shock to the system when your fanciful craft seems to be...hard.  All of a sudden, you remember those dishes in the cabinet that you just cleaned yesterday but you didn't CLEAN clean, so off to the kitchen you go.  Next, as you stare at the computer, you realize that, gee golly gosh, your spoons haven't been alphabetized in forever.  And then, as you get a fleeting notion to sit and write, you look up at your spinning fan and suddenly remember you need to relocate to Alaska.  Now!  So you load up your car with a week's supply of Lunchables you kept in your "bug out" bag and Limp Bizkit's entire discography.  Then you stop to pick up every stray cat you see as you trek towards your new life as "Bob" or "Lucy" or "Dumbledore", managing the shit out of a Little Caesar's.

This fear that drives us away from these creative pursuits and into the arms of even the most mundane tasks is something that affects all creative types, especially writers.  To paraphrase Chris Baty, the creator of NANOWRIMO, people often become too afraid to write down their ideas because they think that the act of writing seems to only do harm to the idea.  In reality, writers are transitioning from the fantastical notions of writing to the "nose to the grindstone" humbling reality of writing.

This all leads to my own recent personal realization:  If you want to write, you have to treat is as a job (or your 2nd job, in some cases).   Show up and plan to work.  That's it.  Mark off time on your calendar and just write.  Write anything.  Your only goal is to be productive.  Why the hell else do you think I write a blog that no one reads?  Because it forces me overcome my own inhibitions and write, and darn does it feel tingly in the feels when I hit that publish button .  

If it helps, outline what you're planning to write.  Or free write with your pants off.  Or chart your progress with your pants off.  In truth, pants are the true culprit of laziness, but you should also just conduct some form of writing that constitutes as work.  It won't always feel like you're going to the salt mines, though.  In the midst of it all, you will find enjoyment.

So, that got weird at the end.  Hope all of that made sense, somehow.

Now, throw your pants back on.  It's writing exercise time!

Writing Exercise #2:  It's alive!!!!!!
Time:  10-15 minutes, non-stop (Keep typing or writing for the duration, no breaks)

Pick one of your pets.  If you don't have any pets (what kind of fresh hell is that, really), pick an inanimate object in the room.  Now tell a story with these sequence of events.  Do your best to thread the events together into a cohesive story.

1.  The pet (or object) suddenly develops the ability to communicate.
2.  The pet (or object) talks to you.  What's the first thing it wants to talk about?
3.  The pet (or object) runs into one of your neighbors outside.  What happens?
4.  The pet (or object) takes the public transport.  Where does it go?
5.  The pet (or object) runs into it's sworn enemy.  Who/what is it and why are they enemies?

Remember, the whole point of these exercises is to get stuff done, regardless of quality.

- Morgan Cain

Currently Reading:  The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Hop: Bring Back That Loving Feeling

(At least once a year, I participate in a blog hop with several talented authors.  This time we focused on a series that we loved in the beginning, then disappointed us, but then redeemed itself in our eyes.  Sorry, no writing excercises this time) When I was told the theme of this year's blog hop, there was no hesitation on what subject I wanted to pull the trigger on.  Back in the early 2000s, the Playstation 2 was a must have for anyone who was all about the button mashing.  After buying one, I encountered a game unlike any other that eventually become a benchmark and influential power for video games for years.  This game was Devil May Cry. In the game, you played a silver haired demon hunter named Dante who's soul purpose was to eviscerate and obliterate demonic enemies in highly stylish ways.  It was a highly kinetic action game that was a complete overload of everything a hormone and anxiety riddled teenage boy imbibed for spiritual sustenance.  But I can't fully

Blog Hop 2018: Under a Binge

I don’t like binge watching shows.   I also loathe the culture that surrounds it. The adulthood expectations of my boring life influence this opinion heavily, but there’s also the thought of having to drop everything and spend 10-12 hours watching something in a misguided attempt at keeping your finger on the pulse of what Twitter has decided is “in” that makes me want to yell at kids to get off my lawn in random places that just so happen to NOT be my yard.   But there is a show where I have relented, hanging my head as my pride deflates and I feebly gesture to your TV and Roku stick.   Also, I’m sure you have questions as to why I’m sitting in your living room at 2am in the morning, but there are bigger things to discuss here.           When I found out the next blog hop was going to focus on binging, my mind went to one of my favorite shows in the last five years:   Netflix’s American Vandal.   So as someone converted to the binging religion for one show, I guess it’s now

Blog Hop 2019: I tried to defend the Incredible Hulk, and I went insane.

For this go-around of the blog hop, I was planning to defend a movie whose reputation needs a little boosting; The Incredible Hulk (2008)  Or so I thought. However, after re-watching without the lens of nostalgia, the movie’s constant low placing on various Marvel lists make sense.  So for this blog hop, I’m going to examine The Incredible Hulk (2008) and look at it as straightforward as possible. To begin, let's look at that * thud* *Wakes up an indeterminate number of hours later, head throbbing* Me:  What the hell happened?  Wh…why am I tied up? *Down the dark corridor, I hear a deep, reverberating smack.  A millisecond later, the bestial groan of “hulk smash” echoes towards me.  A figure cuts through the darkness. Right away, the bright green Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hat pulls my eyes up.  Moving down, I’m unable to see the face due to the bill being bent down, casting a shadow over my assailant’s face. . His Green Ranger shirt continue d to green motif